Everyone deserves a symphony.
CutTime® cooks ’em up HOT & FRESH.
Incredible orchestra concerts take place in controlled settings and for highbrow audiences. But what about everyone else? Where are the casual and intro-level experiences (middlebrow) for the rest of humanity?
CutTime answers the call, popping up across the city & the country to slip adventures of symphonic music boldly into restaurants, clubs, cafes, homes, churches, schools, festivals, offices and even stores.
Started by former-Detroit Symphony Orchestra bassist Rick Robinson, CutTime’s two signature ensembles (CutTime Players®, CutTime Simfonica®) reset classical music for the broadest public, to spread the magic of symphonic hits through game-changing metaphors, fun participation, funky-romantic new music and guests artists that make sense of this mysterious and cloistered art form.
It’s time to clue new audiences into the public domain. It’s time to cut loose with classical music!
Robinson has been an innovative force in bringing chamber ensembles into nontraditional venues and classrooms, mixing it up with a variety of creative repertoire and generally proving that classical music belongs not on the fringes of contemporary culture but at the heart of everyday life.
– Mark Stryker, Detroit Free Press Music Critic
Robinson is bringing classical music to the masses— which may be one of the most challenging jobs in all of music.
– Amy Haimerl, Crain’s Detroit Business
- Read why classical music is overdue for a revolution.
- Listen to symphonic music played as chamber music (without conductor).
- Hear tonal new compositions that blend urban pop with classical styles.
- Support a new tradition for classical music that validates new users.